Saturday, October 10, 2009

A bed of roses



Life may not be a bed of roses all the time but there are certainly days when you should live like it is.

And today is such a day for me.

I woke up late... had a nice breakfast at one of my favourite hawker centre.. finished off a nice book... and then had went for a nice and long high-tea with a few girlfriends.

I had wanted to go to the Rose Veranda at Shangri-La Hotel for high tea for the longest time now. I think I wanted to go since August.. but for one reason or the other, we weren't able to go together until today.

The food spread is fine, nothing to write home about.. although I did think that the desserts were quite good, especially the lemongrass and chocolate mousse dessert and the blackforest cake with alcohol.

But the best part of the afternoon tea was.. the tea. They offer a glorious range of 102 tea blends, with beautiful names such as Morning Star, Equilibrium and Magic Rose.

I tried 3 teas today - The Morning Star, Sweet Kiss and Sweet Honeybush. Sweet Kiss was the best - very pink and fruity, with a natural sweet taste. The Sweet Honeybush is not that bad too, although I felt it smelled better than it tasted.

This is an excellent place to go for a girly catch-up because the view outside the windows is nice and green.. there are beautiful bunches of fresh roses all around.. and all the crockery has matching beautiful pink rose buds and roses (that is if they don't serve you with the other hideous looking teapot set)... even the napkin has a sweet pink rose bud on it.



My verdict after today's tea?

I'm so going to have high-tea more frequently from now on. :)

Rose Veranda
Address: 22 Orange Grove Road, Mezzanine Level Shangri-la Hotel
Tel: +65-6213 4486

2 comments:

bossacafez said...

i heard the variety at rose veranda isn't good, looks like it isn't since u said its nothing to shout about. the teapot looks really nice tho'! i love high teas too, they said regent's tiered set is good! must go there one of these days.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh.. the food is just ok.. nothing great but not so bad either. But oh.. Evan, I was just saying yesterday that I've never had a tiered set high tea! We should plan one such high tea together.. with Happy also maybe? :)