Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dolsot Bibimbap

Dolsot = Stone pot.

Bibimbap = Mixed meal.

Therefore, Dolsot Bibimbap = A mixed meal in a stone pot. Usually, it is rice mixed with meat and vegetables in a sizzling hot stonepot.

Though my craving for Korean food is over, I still have lots of kimchi in the fridge.

So I decided to make yet another Korean dinner last night. It was also a good opportunity to use my Korean hotpot for the very first time..

Ingredients
Sliced pieces of beef, seasoned with Korean or Japanese BBQ sauce
Some Kimchi
Cabbage, sliced and blanched
Carrots, finely sliced and blanched
Mushrooms, finely sliced and blanched
Crab stick, sliced
Korean Hot Pepper Paste
Cooked White Rice (I used Japanese rice)
1 large egg
Some green spring onions
Some toasted sesame seeds

What I did
1. Heat up the stone pot
2. Add some sesame oil when pot is hot
3. Put the beef slices in, cook until desired doneness
4. Remove beef
5. Put white rice into stone pot and arrange vegetables and crab stick (basically anything you like) on top
6. Top with beef, crack an egg over it and sprinkle sesame seeds over
7. Put some hot pepper paste at one side
8. Turn off fire
9. Mix everything together before eating

Here's how it turned out:



I've never made Dolsot Bibimbap before. It tasted quite good - it makes a comfort meal when one is in a lousy mood because of the piping hot rice and all that mixing required.

I need to do two things to make it even better next time:
1. Heat the stone pot for a longer time, over a stronger flame so it gets really sizzling hot.
2. Cook the rice a little drier as the juices from all the vegetables will make the dish quite wet already. Using "wetter" rice (as I thought would be good since the pot might dry the rice up) makes the dish a little too sticky after mixing.

6 comments:

I am Hap(py) said...

Your Bibimbap standard very good! It looked like is served from a restaurant!!!!

Oh ya... is Open Kitchen Concept HAHAHA

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Nah.. is not that great.. OK only. Is the pot that makes it look good.. hehe

Next time will be better!

bossacafez said...

omg i love korean food and all yr korean dishes look so darn gd! lets go eat korean food one day leh. btw yr kimchi pajeon (pancake) crispy or not? it looks very nice!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

hehe.. I always feel happy when a good cook says my food looks good.. The pancake is pretty ok.. Crispy on one side - where I put more oil. Next time, I'd try to pan-fry one side, take out, put oil, heat up and then put the other side in the pan..

bossacafez said...

correction : i'm not a good cook. i think u r a better cook than me haha!

did u use the instant batter for the pancake? i tried once then the pancake turned out soggy & oily, probably becoz the batter is too thick, and oil not hot enough. so keen to try again after seeing yours :D

Open Kitchen Concept said...

hehe.. no wor.. u had me drooling over the Parma Ham and Rocket Pizza... rememeber?

I did use an instant pancake mixture.. I just stuck to the mixture's instructions.