Friday, October 30, 2009

One of them is Pink

My hibiscus seedling has finally flowered! I was really pleasantly surprised to see this bloom this morning.



I germinated a couple of pink hibiscus seeds and a couple of white hibiscus seeds some time ago. And I mixed them up during the process. Only 2 of the 4 seeds germinated, so I have been waiting to see what colours they would turn out to be.

So now I know.. one of them is pink. And such a nice bright pink. The other seedling hasn't flowered yet so I'd have to be patient.

I like the names of this species of hibiscus.

It is called "Dinner-plate Hibiscus" due to the size of its blooms. The flowers can measure anything between 6 to 12 inches in width, the size of dinner plates and hence the name.

The one I have measures 6 inches wide.. but it is only a short plant, because I have been not transferred it to a larger pot. Standing at less than 18 inches tall, the flower is one third of the plant's height.

Another name for this hibiscus, I found out today, is Hardy Hibiscus. That must be the reason why it has survived attacks from the red spider mites and all kinds of neglect from its owner.

This seedling is very "productive". It has another bud waiting to flower soon..


No comments: