Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Good Kimchi Jigae (Kimchi Soup)

Kimchi Jigae is soup made with kimchi and a variety of ingredients like pork, seafood, toufu and so on.

Good Kimchi Jigae, according to the Korean lady at the supermarket where I bought some Korean groceries from, should be made using "older" kimchi.

"After 2 weeks, kimchi turns sour. Then good for making soup."

And the kind lady taught me how to make this soup - Fry some pork slices with sesame oil, then add toufu and seafood. Add chicken or vegetable soup and vegetables. Add some Korean chilli paste and Korean chilli powder and continue boiling for 20 to 30 minutes.

"Only with sour kimchi. Very good taste." She reminded me.

Thanks to this lady, we had a good kimchi jigae for dinner tonight. And I think the kimchi I bought from her must have been really fresh.. because I waited 2 weeks but I felt that the kimchi is actually still very edible, ie. not sour enough for kimchi soup. But the soup was still very good. I still have some of that kimchi.. and will wait til next week to make this soup again.


Today's dinner was Kimchi Jigae and Korean Seafood Pancake (yes, again..).

No comments: