Monday, February 22, 2010

Three Coloured Carrots Soup

 Piping hot homemade soup is always good..

I don't really know the name of this soup, so I call it Three Coloured Carrots Soup, a literal translation after its Chinese name, 三色萝卜汤.

I like making soup after we have "lou hei" at home. ("Lou hei", which literally means Scooping Up in Cantonese, is the tossing of a plate of colourful vegetable strips with some raw fish, pickled vegetables and a tangy but sweet plum sauce - It is like a Chinese salad with sashimi. The dish itself is called Yu Sheng)

 Yu Sheng - I made this and took it to a friend's house for dinner last weekend

In my family, we like making our own lou hei - actually more like assembling because all we do is buy a ready-made pack of lou hei ingredients which consist of the pickled vegetables and all the seasoning required, shredding lots of fresh vegetables, then slicing in some abalone or salmon sashimi.

We often add carrots, radish, green carrots and cucumber into our lou hei. Just a bit of each. As a result, I often end up with some of these vegetables left in my fridge.

So I make this "Three Coloured Carrots Soup", to use up some of the vegetables.

Ingredients
  • Some pork ribs - about 300g
  • 1 to 2 carrots, cut
  • 1/2 to 1 large radish, cut
  • 1/2 to 1 large green carrots, cut
  • 3 to 4 dried red dates
Note: Try to cut all the vegetables into larger pieces

What I did
  1. Blanch the pork ribs in some boiling water
  2. Add the blanched pork ribs and all the other ingredients into a pot of boiling water (3 to 4 bowls of water)
  3. Boil for about 2 to 2.5 hours
  4. Season to taste with salt
The soup tastes super sweet because of all the root vegetables in it.

1 comment:

I am Hap(py) said...

ooooh nice :) i wanna try that next time. Loads of Vit A :D