Saturday, July 31, 2010

White Bee Hoon

Bee Hoon, or rice vermicelli are very thin noodles made from rice. They are usually fried with meat, vegetables and seafood or added to fish soups to make a meal.

A very typical breakfast you can find in most food centres in Singapore consist of fried bee hoon with lots of oyster sauce and dark soy sauce, bean sprouts and very little meat. I used to miss that a lot when I was in Beijing.

Rice vermicelli is also used to make mee siam - one of my all time favourite Singapore dishes. Mee Siam is actually a dish of rice vermicelli in a spicy, sweet and sour light gravy. It is often served with eggs, beansprouts and dried beancurd.


This restaurant we went to at Sembawang today serves a super yummy version of rice vermicelli.

I never knew the name of the restaurant prior to today, actually. I just call it the "White Bee Hoon" shop because of the very large sign that shouts "White Bee Hoon" on top of the restaurant. The rice vermicelli here is fried with lots and lots of seafood (I think) stock, with eggs, vegetables, squid and prawns. They serve it with a rather special chilli that has a strong balachan (shrimp paste) taste. The combination of the wet bee hoon, chilli, homemade barley and lime juice makes for a perfect lunch on a hot day like today.

The bee hoon is really very good.. Even as I'm editing my photos, I feel like I ought to plan another trip there soon!


Sembawang White Bee Hoon
Add: 2 Jalan Tampang, Singapore 758946
(Opposite Sembawang shopping centre)
Closed on Wednesdays

1 comment:

Petunia Lee said...

I loooooooooooooove that shop.