Today's carrot cake is the opposite of healthy.. and comes complete with cream cheese frosting. But I did try to cut back on the sugar and the oil a little.
The top of the cake is nice and crisp.. but the inside is very moist. So this recipe really worked quite well for me. The original recipe is from joyofbaking - same recipe as the last time round.. except I didn't change it that much.
Carrot cake - with cream cheese frosting and without
340 grams raw carrots, peeled and finely grated
260 grams plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 large eggs
270g granulated white sugar
220ml canola oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
100g walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
What I did
1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside in a separate bowl.
2. Beat the eggs until frothy, Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored.
3. Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract.
4. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
5. Fold in the grated carrots and toasted chopped nuts, if desired.
6. Pour mixture into souffle cups and bake in preheated oven at approx 190 degC for about 30 minutes
For the cream cheese frosting, I just added some cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla extract and a tiny bit of milk. It would have been nice to add some lemon zest, I think.