Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sweet Potatoes and Gingko Nuts


My mum likes to make this dessert.

Usually, she uses 2 kinds of sweet potatoes and this comes in the form of a "sweet soup" (糖水).

Today, she added pumpkin as well. She cut up chunks of sweet potatoes, pumpkin and boils them with gingko nuts and rock sugar.

However, I don't usually like the sugary water, so for me, she'd fish out the starchy chunks and gingko nuts and I'd eat them this way, without the soup.

A variety of this dessert is just tapioca with sweet potato, stewed with sugar until the starch is soft and sugar caramelizes. Yum.

I'm home today because I haven't fully recovered from my flu. It was a mistake trying to push it and go in to work yesterday, though I did feel better in the morning. By the time I got in to work, I was feeling all clammy and tired. And then it all went downhill from there...

So today, I'm being good.. staying at home and resting. I'm looking forward to be able to taste food properly again.

2 comments:

My Sinfonia said...

this is so cantonese....be good, stay home and get well on "sugar water" from mummy ;)

Wen-ai said...

Get well soon! Maybe your mom can add a little bit of ginger as well. Keeps the flu and "wind" away. ;)